MaryGB

But I don’t know what to do with those Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs.

I have always been an avid reader. I read fiction and nonfiction.  When I read fiction - It's almost a guarantee I am reading a romance novel.

Someone to Watch Over Me
Lisa Kleypas
Bone Deep - Bonnie Dee I chose to read this book largely because of the beautiful cover, and then because the plot is so original and intriguing.

This was a nice story, but I felt it could have been much more. This is the first book by this author that I've read, so I cannot say for certain whether this is a typical example of her writing style, but (to me, at least) it was lacking. It 'told' far more than it 'showed.' We never got inside the characters' heads, and instead we were just told how they were feeling. This story was told more from an omniscient voice, and yet we were only ever told the heroine's thoughts and feelings. There were a lot of insignificant details that were described in painful detail, while other things that should have been fully described were left completely to the imagination.

The heroine was a WWII widow, whose only previous lover had been her husband. The book says that she was very sexually inexperienced, and she is often described as being very modest, as one would expect a 1940's midwestern farmer's wife to be, and yet her behavior in bed with the hero suggested nothing of the sort. So it didn't seem quite realistic to me.

I never got a good sense of time and place. We are told it takes place in 1946, but the location was never really established. I never felt truly immersed. The characters seemed so rich, but I never felt like I got to know them because we could never get inside their heads. Sure, we were told how they felt, or how they looked, or what they thought, but the narrations always seemed very separated from the characters themselves... if that makes sense?

Anyway, it was enjoyable enough because of the uniqueness of the story. I just felt like it could have been much more.