MaryGB

But I don’t know what to do with those Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs.

I have always been an avid reader. I read fiction and nonfiction.  When I read fiction - It's almost a guarantee I am reading a romance novel.

Someone to Watch Over Me
Lisa Kleypas
Some Kind of Magic - Theresa Weir Wow. This book was really interesting… and really good! I wavered between 4 and 5 stars. This is the first book I’ve read by this author, but it certainly won’t be the last! The writing was intelligent and witty, and it sucked me in right from the very beginning.
It was one surprising turn after another. The hero, Dylan, has so many layers to his character, each of which gets slowly peeled away as the book goes on. And boy, what a character he is. And not at all what the reader expects when we first meet him in the very beginning.
The heroine, Claire, is cool. She’s funny without being obnoxious. Slightly self-deprecating, but not annoying. A bit of a loner, but still lonely. Nursing her wounds after having gotten dumped by a total creep. I liked her. She kind of reminds me of me, in a way.
The set-up for the story is incredibly unique… with the hero kidnapping the heroine at gunpoint. Of course, not a very hero-worthy thing to do, but don’t worry, the author makes the reader forgive him and love him.
Certainly, there were factors of this book that were slightly annoying. The sequence of events, for one, was almost too incredible to be believed, including events in the hero’s past. But – the book was good enough that I can forgive that. Then of course, there’s the whole I-can’t-respect-a-heroine-who-entertains-the-idea-of-falling-for-a-guy-who-abducted-her thing…. but it didn’t seem like such a big deal in this. Once again, I think it’s because of the many layers of Dylan that get slowly revealed throughout the course of the book, as well as the various plot twists that take the characters places the reader never expected them to go. And there are good reasons for everything that happens.
The romance was very sweet and yet still so passionate. I think one of the best things about this book was how normal the ‘falling in love’ part was, despite the incredibly unusual circumstances. Ultimately, this story represents exactly what love should be, which is two people who find that – although they can live without each other – they’re just better when they’re together. Like that song by Jack Johnson “Better When We’re Together.” Yeah… that song is perfect for these characters.
Totally a fun read. Funny, sweet, and sexy.