MaryGB

But I don’t know what to do with those Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs.

I have always been an avid reader. I read fiction and nonfiction.  When I read fiction - It's almost a guarantee I am reading a romance novel.

Someone to Watch Over Me
Lisa Kleypas
Desperate Hearts - Alexis Harrington This book definitely had a crescendo type of flow. It was a very slow build, almost painfully slow. I considered putting this one down after getting about 1/3 of the way into it because it just felt like it was taking forever to get to any kind of point. I stuck with it, though, because I really like this author and I know she usually delivers. And she did. It turned out pretty good. And the rest of the book was very nice.

Alexis Harrinton definitely has a formula to her books for the build-up of the romance and sex, but it's a pattern that really works for me, and it's partly why I enjoy reading her work time and again. In addition, both hero and heroine have pasts that are laced with hardship and trauma. They of course help one another heal, and go on a journey towards figuring out who they are and what they really want - each other. The characters slowly but surely begin to change, and the reader is taken right alongside them as they progress. One of the primary issues I had with this book was that I felt that the ending was a bit too tidy, and too quickly wrapped up. Throughout the book, we see the hero's internal struggle as he wrestles with his need to live his life on his own without any distractions or responsibilities, and his new found love and desire to share his life with the heroine. Time and again he struggles with this issue, and we see his torment over making the decision to leave her. Then bada-bing bada-boom, he gets one job offer and he instantly decides to stay and go back to her. And she instantly takes him back. Ehh... as a reader I really felt like the characters needed more than that given all of the crap they had already been through.

This book is not as good as its prequel,Homeward Hearts, but it definitely holds its own. It was nice to see Travis and Chloe in this book as well.