8 Followers
26 Following
MaryGB

But I don’t know what to do with those Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs.

I have always been an avid reader. I read fiction and nonfiction.  When I read fiction - It's almost a guarantee I am reading a romance novel.

Currently reading

Someone to Watch Over Me
Lisa Kleypas
Duchess in Love - Eloisa James I don't even know what to say. This should have been an introductory novella to this series. Instead, it was a full length novel with a serious identity crisis. The supposed main characters - Gina and Cam - were uninteresting at best, and often quite annoying. With Gina's constant blithering back and forth about whether she wanted to stay married to her husband (Cam) or have her marriage annulled and marry Sebastian (who practically recoils at her slightest touch). But this only when the reader is actually involved in the 'main' characters' story line, which amounts to only about 60% of the book. The other 40% is spent telling the stories of all of Gina's annoying girlfriends (who are also all involved in scandalous/disastrous marriages and who all behaved in ways that were pretty unbelievable for their time period).

I cannot for the life of me figure out why we're supposed to believe that Gina and Cam were really in love. Cam starts out in this story as an uncouth, uncaring reprobate sculptor, who is living the good life in Greece and vows to never return to stuffy England and all of her rules. But Gina is just so damn sexy, and she screams so loud when she orgasms, and he falls so hard for her that he is suddenly willing to give all of that up. Oh sure, if the story and characters had been allowed the time to truly unfold properly, I think Eloisa James could have written this in such a way that it was believable. But with spending time on Esme and Sebastian and Carola and Tuppy, and so many others, there simply was not enough space left to really develop the primary characters.

Too much stuff crammed into too little space, and absolutely zero chemistry for the main couple. Plus, I found the characters so insufferably irritating and unbelievable that I can't rate this higher than one star.