MaryGB

But I don’t know what to do with those Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs.

I have always been an avid reader. I read fiction and nonfiction.  When I read fiction - It's almost a guarantee I am reading a romance novel.

Someone to Watch Over Me
Lisa Kleypas
Poughkeepsie - Debra Anastasia I was so disappointed. I was so excited to read this book because the subject was so unique. And for the first third to the first half of the book, I was enthralled. I loved it. Sure, it could be a tad melodramatic at times, but the arc was solid, the writing was good, and I loved the main characters - Livia and Blake. They were believable, and I was really looking forward to watching their romance play out and see them overcome whatever conflicts came their way.

Then somewhere about a third of the way through, the plot just collapsed. Completely and utterly. It became a complete mess of several different plot-lines, many of which had nothing to do with the supposed main characters, and none of which I cared about. It became way too difficult to follow. Secondary characters suddenly became primary, and we were introduced to the excruciatingly detailed, in-depth character histories of people who... I guess we were supposed to really care about...?.... But I didn't. This book just didn't know what it wanted to be, and it was trying desperately to be everything at once - and failing at all of it.

I kept wondering 'What happened to this book?' Because at that point it ceased to feel like a book, and started to read more like scenes from a TV show that blends The OC, Dawson's Creek, and Miami Vice. WTF??

Plus, the melodrama ramped up to epic proportions. It was very cheesy in parts, and very unrealistic.

Such an enigma, because the second half of the book almost bears no resemblance to the first.

The writing was good. Although, as I stated, a bit too detailed when it came to insignificant characters and inconsequential events.