MaryGB

But I don’t know what to do with those Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs.

I have always been an avid reader. I read fiction and nonfiction.  When I read fiction - It's almost a guarantee I am reading a romance novel.

Someone to Watch Over Me
Lisa Kleypas
Imagine - Jill Barnett A highly enjoyable, funny, and romantic read. It was rather long, but I zipped right through it because I just got completely lost in it.

This is not normally the type of romance I would go for, but it worked for me in this case. Margaret Huntington Smith, a lawyer and feminist in 1896 San Francisco goes on a vacation to the South Seas. When her ship is wrecked, she and three orphans are rescued by escaped convict Hank Wyatt. Soon, the five of them, along with a goat, find themselves stranded on a beautiful island paradise. Hank starts out as very chauvinistic, which make for some truly hilarious conversations between him and Margaret (who he has dubbed Smitty... because he knows it bugs her).

As the troop deals with weather, building shelters, finding food, and the crazy emotional highs and lows, they begin to forge a very beautiful family-like relationship. And soon the vitriol between Smitty and Hank turns into grudging respect, which grows into honest admiration, and then into passionate love.

Oh, and I must also mention that there is a Genie involved in this story - yes, a real, honest-to-goodness genie. Now one might say that makes the story too silly... but it actually made it even better! Obviously, you've got to suspend reality a bit for that one. It added a bit of whimsy and humor to the story, and offsets some of the serious topics dealt with by the central characters.

The sexual tension between Smitty and Hank was simply delicious. It was one of those books where they keep taking slow and painful steps towards each other throughout the story so that when they FINALLY give in to each other the reader is at the edge of her seat, reading furiously.

This was a freebie on Kindle a while back, and I'm glad I picked it up and read it. Would definitely recommend.