MaryGB

But I don’t know what to do with those Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs.

I have always been an avid reader. I read fiction and nonfiction.  When I read fiction - It's almost a guarantee I am reading a romance novel.

Someone to Watch Over Me
Lisa Kleypas
Harper's Bride - Alexis Harrington Really loved it; it encompasses some of my favorite themes - fake/temporary marriage of convenience, starchy hero comes undone, damaged souls find solace and peace in each other...these are some of the reasons I love romance novels.

Melissa Logan and her baby, Jenny, are 'sold' off as payment for a debt Melissa's abusive husband cannot afford to pay.

As the owner of a trading post in the Gold Rush Yukon, Dylan Harper didn't want a wife and child - he wanted his money. But when he saw the terrified look in Melissa's eyes and the fading bruise on her cheek, Dylan knew it was only a matter of time before she got abandoned or sold anyway, and quite possibly to someone even worse than her good-for-nothing husband. His conscience will not allow that to happen.

So he takes her in, and they make a deal to stick together long enough for them both to make enough money to leave the Yukon and make better lives for themselves elsewhere - and separately. In the meantime, she will cook and keep house, and he promises not to touch her. But time and close quarters have other plans, as these two damaged souls go through many trials together, learn the other's strengths and weaknesses, and come to realize what love really means.

It was beautiful, sweet, and charming to watch these two characters come together. It was a slow burning romance during which the characters realistically go from being strangers, to forming a real friendship and partnership, to falling in love.